Inputs are active during machining unless explicitly disabled by the M codes in more recent PP versions (or you have to do what I did with the relay and M codes to switch it off at the beginning the machining cycle and then restore it when it completes). A stray signal from a probe or ETS on that input will result in both the spindle and motion stopping immediately. I am not the only one to note this issue.
The video posted is approximately what would occur for both a length and diameter measurement. I did not assume length from the tool table (the idea being you put a new tool in and you only enter the tool diameter in the tool table).
If the tool already has values, then comparisons would be made and depending on delta, you either update the diameter offset and length for wear or you error and flag the tool as broken.
There are definitely refinements to be made to the movements as the current program is not production and has more safety margins and conservative feeds until proven out further. I am still working through the setup/calibration/testing and math/geometry.
I think the result for me, when I’ve optimized eveyrthing that I can, is that the tolerances of the 440 motion will end up being the limitation rather than PP or the ETS and that machines with better motion control and/or precision will be more suited to full use of this.
I am trying to gear up for some small production runs of a product I’m trying to bring to market, so the extent I’m looking for is an automated log of tool length and diameter over time.
I didn’t even get the probe for this feature. I ran out of work envelope with two 4” Tormach vises on the machine bed. There seemed to be no location to put the “simple” ETS I already had where it could be reached to do tool lengths.
It is a ceramic disc and I haven’t looked for spares. I have just started to run it against a moving tool.