Protect your probe

Be sure to checkout https://www.nyccnc.com/tormach-t99-spindle-lockout/

One of the worst things you can do is spin up a probe in your machine.

In today’s video, we’ll walk through installing a simple Python script that was written by a Tormach community member. This script will disable your spindle from turning on accidentally with a probe installed and is a great way to get access to Pathpilot’s inner workings without modifying the “guts”.

Thanks to David Loome for sharing this script – visit him below:

CNC Products

3 Likes

Wow, that wireless probe looks pretty nice. Tons of other neat tools on that site. Thanks for sharing, definitely gonna get that spin up script loaded on my machine.

This should be a default failsafe hard-coded into the next PP release. There’s no downside to this other than protecting the investment people have made in probes.

Not an expert coder here. I would like to protect other probes, (I use numbers 99, and 50), any idea what to add/change to the code to protect the additional probe? My first thought would be an additional script with the name changed and loading two python worker scripts on startup. My other thought would be multiple workers in one python script. No idea what I am talking about…

Thank you David Loomes, Saunders Machine Works & NYC CNC.

The probe protecting code has advanced a bot since the nycnc video. If you have a look at this page you’ll find details of the latest state of play.

I’ve extracted the probe protection code into a separate file and given that its own web page where you’ll find details of how to customise for multiple probes. Hope that helps.