Probing a cavity

I have an 1100 PCNC mill and a passive probe. What I would like to do is use the probe to determine the corner radius in a rectangular cavity. Is there a probing routine that will do this and a video showing this as a tutorial?
Art

Arthur,

This isn’t a probing routine that we have published. I have written a 3 point probing routine that you can use as a starting point for this, I wrote it so the vectors of each probed point can be specified, but for small radii the accuracy will go down the closer each vector is to the others. There’s some rewriting you’ll have to do to have it find the radius vs center, and it uses parameters that currently don’t exist (coming!) for the probing feedrates.

probe_bore_three_point.nc (4.0 KB)
CAM program for three point bore.nc (736 Bytes)

Thank you,
Norman

1 Like

Thanks Norman,
I will try those and see if I can figure out the corner radius.
Art

Are there any special instructions I need to be aware of before attempting to use this?
Art

Arthur,

If you have the commercial subscription to Fusion 360, then the WCS probing routines there include 3 point probes on partial circles. A post-processor to support this function is at Fusion post processor (xoomspeed.com)

The macros to support those functions are pre-installed in PathPilot and there’s a post-processor setting that causes all probing results to be output to the status page as the program’s running. The 3-point routines will find the radius of the arc and the location of its centre.

1 Like