Crayon Molds

This is a project that my daughter and I came up with recently that I thought I would share. Once you have the mold made then you can melt old broken crayon pieces in the oven to make Heart shaped crayons.

Needed
1/4" 3-flute flat end mill
1/4" 2-flute ball end mill
Aluminum billet: 2.75" x 2.75" x 0.8"

Files
HeartCrayonMold.nc (922.1 KB)
3D Heart Crayon Mold.f3d (6.8 MB)

WCO
To make this part you just need to zero the WCO (G54.1 P11) on the center face of your stock.

Make Crayons

1. Place a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom of the oven to catch spills
  2. Preheat oven to 100-200 degrees F
  3. Break up crayon pieces into smaller bits (around 1/4" or smaller). You will need about 3 full crayons worth of crayon
  4. Place crayon bits in the mold and the mold in the oven
  5. Keep an eye on the project in the oven for the crayons to fully melt. This will take around 20minutes.
  6. Once the crayons are fully melted turn off the oven and crack the door open
  7. Wait for the crayon to solidify and the mold to cool. This will take around 30 minutes
  8. Transfer the project to the freezer
  9. Once the crayon is completely cooled pull the project out of the freezer and the crayon should pop out of the mold

This is an adaptation of 3D contoured hearts and soft jaws - #2 by dfroeschner

2 Likes

I made this project and my kid loves it! I did have to flip the part in f360, dial back the speeds and feeds (HSS tool and mist coolant), swap the WCS to G54 and changed the stock size to the piece of scrap I found.

@Justin_Weber Fantastic news! thanks for the note.
My kid and I got carried away with this project and I ended up making a mold for stars and the newly discovered aperiodic shape. Here are files and such for those, if you are feeling frisky.

Tool List

• 3/8 3 flute flat end mill (T2)
  • 1/4" 3 flute flat end mill (T3)
  • 1/8" 3 flute flat end mill (T4)
  • 1/4" 2 flute ball end mill (T39)
  • 1/8" 2 flute ball end mill (T49)
  • 1/8" mill drill (T38)

Files

Enjoy.

1 Like